Thursday, January 18, 2018

Freeport

steering gear
Grant wanted to go in the sewage treatment unit
sea-chest filter (we get fresh fish from this)
at sea
Main Engine
We got into port in Freeport today  A few days ago we left Houston but had to wait at anchor here for a couple days waiting for a birth  We've finally arrived at our last American port before going to Panama  It took longer than expected but we're here  The crew are all very frustrated with how long the process has taken and everyone really wants to get to sea  Grant and I have been busy the past few days  We cleaned one of the sea-chest filters which was very interesting and today we were able to watch the start up of the main engine  I hung out on the bridge during a night watch while we went from Houston to Freeport and it was eerie slightly discomforting and existential to stare out into the pitch black  I wonder what its going to be like in the middle of the Pacific  Everyone keeps telling me that being on ship is like being in prison and I've been wrestling with how I should take this sentiment but I'll wait and hopefully develop a fuller understanding of their opinions and the implications which follow before drawing any conclusions  Grant and I did a bunch of other interesting stuff that I'm currently failing to remember  You might be asking why I haven't used any punctuation ponder